*Not My REAL Bookshelf

*Not My REAL Bookshelf

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

"Big Little Lies", by Liane Moriarty




In the past year, I've joined a lovely group of like-minded ladies in a book club affectionately called Book Nerds. Most of what we've been reading since I joined has been the sort of material only to be read on a Kindle if you're out in public, because it's pretty racy stuff. *hubba hubba* LOL

Lately, though, we've turned to several less erotic choices, when said choices were being brought to life either on the big screen or for prime time entertainment. The most recent of these is Big Little Lies, by Liane Moriarty, which is also currently being aired as a miniseries on HBO. Having seen the premiere episode of the miniseries, I can confidently say that the book is better. (YES, already! I knows it when I sees it.)

Big Little Lies opens up with a confrontation, which leads to a rather unlikely friendship between three women in a small Australian town. We soon learn that not all is as it seems in picturesque Pirriwee, and a great majority of the book is spent exploring backstories and jumping between storylines. It does start off slowly, as the details of the character personalities are filled in and connections made between them. But once the action picks up, you're certain to find yourself swept away in the intricacies of the approaching climax. When that climax arrives, it will shock you to your core -- I literally screamed out loud! Once I reached that point, there was no putting it down until I had read every last word. The betrayals, the secrets being laid bare, the intrigue, and the feeling of being amongst friends all combined to create a book I liked immensely! It's difficult not to find yourself rooting for Madeline and Jane, as they battle against injustices and petty gossip to protect young lives from being destroyed. Loyalties and bonds are tested and broken, and even those you think are without hope of even a scrap of redemption prove themselves trustworthy in the end.

I do wholeheartedly recommend this read, and can't wait to add more of Moriarty's work to my To Be Read pile.


Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment